Thursday, November 7, 2013

My Experience: Boston Red Sox Championship Parade



As most of you know, I attend university in Boston, MA. As a college student, my weekends usually consist of exploring the city, hanging out, doing homework..just the usual. But this past Saturday, November 2, 2013 was not my typical Saturday.

6:05 a.m.

No. Definitely not a typical Saturday. I woke up, exhausted by only four hours of sleep, but reassured that this would be well worth it. --Even if I had to convince myself that the few minutes of longing to get back in bed with my plushy pink blanket would go away soon enough.

As I got ready, I couldn't help but feel like such a native to the city. I put on my shirt, which read "Boston Love," and adjusted my Boston Strong hat so that the fit was just right. If you caught just a glimpse of my eyes, I'm certain you could see the pride exuding deep from within them. 

7:17 a.m.

My friend and I left our dorm building (we were perhaps the only ones up in our tower...yeah) and headed over to Panera for breakfast because the dining hall wasn't even open at this hour! A toasted Cinnamon Crunch bagel with that whipped cream cheese (yummmm!), was exactly what I needed on this cool, Fall morning. We ate, and then headed out to catch the T into the city.

7:58 a.m.

It was only a few days ago I was in Kenmore Square celebrating the Red Sox win in Game 6, which allowed them to take the World Series victory title. Now, I was walking up the steps of the Copley stop, and with each step I took, more of the beautiful Old South Church was revealed--along with clusters of people...decked out in their Sox gear as expected. The brisk air rushed past my face and spiraled down as I made my way to Boylston St. The sun was peering from behind the clouds, reflecting on the John Hancock Tower--an incredible sight I'm sure I'll never forget. 

The excitement was really building as we looked for a place to stand. I was shocked to see that people came so prepared; they had chairs, coolers, and the explicit look of exhaustion written on their faces. Me and my friend Maura kept walking until we found a place for two to squeeze in. We were right in front by the barricade and saw just how close we would be to the players as they passed by. The street was narrowed off so that there was the regular lane in the street with about half a lane extra on each side (this was so police and players could walk by the crowds as you will see in the pictures below). We couldn't believe it really...we would see the World Champions in just a few hours.....a few feet away from us.

Distracted be our own excitement and the crowd's energy (there was a group of people on the opposite side of the road getting all the cars to honk as they passed the finish line #respect), I took a moment to build up the courage to look at what I knew was staring right at me. We passed the finish line to find a spot to stand, and I have passed the building when standing on the same side, but I have never looked at it head on--we were standing across from the building, which was where the first bomb went off. When you walk past the building and the construction (when you are on the same side), you don't seem to notice the damage that has still not been repaired. One can't help but think about it as they pass--or maybe some try not to be reminded, but I always reassure myself that they are working on some type of memorial for the location--try to bring light to the situation by telling myself that those affected will always be remembered--how this event changed their lives and others in Boston will never leave us. But standing across the street and really looking at it for more than just a glance, I became stiff, almost ill again by the thoughts of what happened in April... But then I looked around...I was surrounded by so many people, some Bostonians, some who had traveled in for this event specifically (2 guys next to us took the train in from Maine, stayed in a hotel for the night, and waited in their spot beginning at 6:30a.m.!) I was instantly reminded of the resilient community I live in. 

As a college student in such a large city, it is kind of hard to assimilate and feel a part of the community. Even up until the beginning of this year, it was awkward when I would refer to going back to my dorm as "my room." But after experiencing something so special and honorary, an event that was in celebration not just of baseball, the Red Sox, and Boston's resilience as a city, but the achievement of building the city back up to even stronger than it has been in the past confirmed that yes, Boston is now my home, and I say it loud and proud with great confidence. :)

10:00 a.m.

I checked my Instagram feed and saw that the Red Sox account had posted pictures of the duck boats leaving Fenway. I jumped up and down a few times as it was only a matter of time before they would be in sight. After two hours of standing and waiting in the sharp wind, I was ready for the parade to begin--for me to experience it and live it so much that I wouldn't even feel the pain anymore, only the joy that was right in front of me.

10:27 a.m.

The police motorcycles stopped in their "V" formation until they received word to proceed. They rode by with a wave of cheers in the crowd as the parade kicked off in this section of Boylston. As the first duck boat approached, everyone went crazy with screams and yells. Many clapped. Even more had their hands high up with their index finger extending out to the players on the boats. I did all of the above...but also just stood smiling, enlightened by all of those around me filled with excitement, pride, and happiness. 

After the parade had passed through, I started to walk back toward Kenmore with Maura. We assumed that it was over and were going to get some lunch when I saw everyone turn, looking in the street. I was a little ways down Boylston by Max Brenner when I noticed. It was the man that was pictured helping people the day of the Marathon in April. The man with the cowboy hat. He was pushing someone (who I would imagine was injured in the Marathon) in a wheelchair down the road. Everyone around cheered them on....and he looked at us with such a sign of respect and thanks.  

There are few moments that have made my world slow down. This was one of them.


----- ----- -----

The purpose of this post was to really share my experience and thoughts in general...a reflection really.. of what I saw and what I felt after this heartwarming parade. I took some time to really think..and decide how I should express the day I had. You can't really imagine something like it until you are breathing the same air, and living in the same moment. These moments are ones that I will cherish forever. 

It is not everyday that the Boston Red Sox win the World Series, and even more so at Fenway. These experiences are not guaranteed in life and that is why I try to make the most of them. There were a few moments when I just had to stop and look around...simply take it all in--When the cops rode by on their bikes and motorcycles in groups there were cheers from all--Before the streets were closed, Bostonians running along Boylston were cheered on and high-fived as they passed--Bouncy balls were tossed from one side of the street to the other as we waited for the parade to begin. We were all there together, standing strong. Boston Strong. 

Of course I have to mention what an incredible team we had this year. As a huge Sox fan in Boston, this was an incredible season to see play out right in my backyard! This past season, the Red Sox stepped up their game and carried Boston on their back. Players like Lester, Salty, Pedroia, Lackey, Victorino, Ortiz, Koji, etc. and everyone that contributed beyond the field such as Fenway employees, and specifically and especially the Sox fans.....congratulations. We did it. As David Ortiz said, "This is our f***ing city." That it is.

I want to thank you guys for reading this and allowing me to express the experience I had last Saturday! It was really so cool to be a part of. Below I have posted some of my pictures from the parade. Some of the highlights for me were touching Salty (yesssssss), seeing all of the players, seeing the trophy!, getting a little baggy of Fenway Dirt from one of the Fenway employees walking aside a duck boat, a B Strong towel tossed to me from a boat, a sticker handed to me, seeing the Dropkick Murphys, seeing David Ortiz pass by on his boat rapping Drake's "Started from the Bottom," (check my instagram for the video lol) and just being present really. It was especially moving when the boats all stopped at the Finish Line and the trophy was put down with the jerseys. I personally didn't know this even happened until I came back and saw it on the news, but hearing "God Bless America," in complete silence gave me chills. 
We are, and will forever be #BostonStrong










the trophy! OUR trophy




















And then this happened...

xx Monica

"Life is a series of experiences, each one of which makes us bigger, even though sometimes it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward."
- Henry Ford -

No comments:

Post a Comment